Syncomatic is a Lightroom 3/4/5 plug-in that synchronises Library and Develop settings between:
- between pairs of files whose names are identical (or have a suffix like -edit)
- between pairs of files whose capture times are identical - new in Syncomatic 2.0
- from the top item of a stack to the other stacked items
Here's how it's being used:
- A photographer sends JPEGs to clients who add ratings and captions in Bridge and send the files back. She imports the JPEGs into LR, and Syncomatic copies the client's ratings from the JPEGs to the raw files.
- Files hidden inside stacks or virtual copies aren't normally updated when you change the master file's copyright, keywords etc. Syncomatic corrects this.
- If you have a new camera which Lightroom doesn’t yet support, you can (after complaining to the camera maker for their failure to offer a DNG option) shoot Raw+JPEG, import the JPEG files, and add your metadata and some adjustments. Once Lightroom supports the camera, import the raw files and use Syncomatic to annotate them.